Thursday, January 3, 2013

Reading, Understanding and Following Patterns!

I have sewn on and off for years.  Usually out of necessity at one time or another.  I would see a pillow that I liked and convince myself that I could make that instead of paying the outrage price it was listed for.  So, I would break out my handy dandy sewing machine and supplies and get to sewing.  After I had accomplished that goal, my sewing machine would sit idle for another spell until the next inspiration and or challenge hit me. 
 
Sewing from patterns always intimidated me so I would use the trace a garment I owned to make a blouse or pair of pants.  I did very little garment sewing at all if any.  But since I have thrown myself into sewing clothing for myself, I have learned so much. 
 
One of my biggest issues with patterns is choosing the correct size.  I would always end up with a finished garment that was 2 sizes almost to large.   I would read the back of the pattern and choose a size that I thought corresponded with my measurements.  But still, time after time, I would end up with a garment that was huge.  Especially pants. 
 
 
There is so much information on most patterns, and I would just get frustrated pick what I thought would be the closest to my size, and pray it turned out ok.
 
Mimi Godwin has a post on her blog and after reading it a light bulb went off in my head and I was like ah ha.  Her tip on using a garment that already fit you well was like magic to my reading eye. Here is the post:  Using What You Have to Make Patterns Work!
 
Then I found this wonderful link:  Dealing with Pattern Ease on Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing from May 2012. 
 
My next biggest issue is lining a garment.  I never line anything and its only out of fear.  I have practiced but I don't feel comfortable.  I have come across several articles and tutorials with great pictures but I still get stumped when a zipper is involved.  Any advice anyone has to share, I am all eyes, and ears.
 
Happy Creating!

4 comments :

  1. My advice: Jump in and do it. Lining is easy its like sewing two of the same garment.Check out Youtube for all zipper applications and practice on scrap first. You can do this. I'm rooting for ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advise Lisa, and I am going to jump in and just do it. Again, thanks.

      Delete
  2. I can't remember how I came across your blog in my sewing blog hopping, but I'm so glad I did! It sounds like we have a lot in common and I've often been perplexed as to what size to sew and have been frustrated with crazy amounts of ease when I did make a size based on my measurements. I love the tips that Mimi posted that you linked to. I think that will help me make better size choices this year. And I've never actually lined anything so it's one of my goals for this year to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie, thanks for your comments. I have been so preplexed with this whole sizing thing, I almost gave up sewing clothing anyway. I just went back to craft sewing for awhile. I now think I got the handle on it. I try to keep little sewing notes on my patterns to help.

      Happy Creating!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment. Have a great day!

IT'S MELANIE DARLING // BLOG DESIGN BY CHIC PIXELS